Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Shutter Island deserves a read before the 2009 movie premiere!


When it comes to comparisons between novels and movies, I consider myself a book guy. That is to say that I find it rare that a movie adapted from a book or novel can live up to the original work. Such scrutiny is typically heightened when the novel in question is by an author I’m particularly fond of. That being said, I really think that Dennis Lehane’s novel, "Mystic River" was done extremely well and was able to retain the soul and feel of the story as told by the greater-Boston native.

While "Gone Baby Gone" was a decent movie, there were quite a few changes and necessary omissions that didn’t do the story or characters justice. Now with Martin Scorsese directing one of Lehane’s most ambitious works in that of "Shutter Island," I really am curious. If you’ve read the novel, you know that the story is not only mesmerizing and complex, but is done in such a way that the reader can’t help but be totally thrown off by the ending. I of course, won’t give that away, but I highly suggest that you go to your local bookstore and read the novel before the movie comes out next fall. For first time Lehane readers, I guarantee you’ll find yourself buying more of his work and you will understand why this mystery fiction master has had so much of his work transformed into major Hollywood productions.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

As a big fan of Lehane I am curious to see if the movie version of Shutter Island does it justice, It is one of my favorite books by this author and one of my favorite books period(although I have hundreds) we shall see if Scorsese is able to capture the twists and turns and the stunnig ending, I am not so sure being a guyt who favors books over movies.

ss_blog_claim=d4341cc3e0b035b2f3f250f52007a337