Sunday, March 22, 2009

No Holds Barred In Battlestar Galactica Finale!


There’s a moment towards the series finale of Battlestar Galactica that literally transcends generals over science fiction fans. While I don’t want to give any details of the two-hour finale away, I can say that for a brief moment there was a melding of the old and new Battlestar Galacticas. As if in homage to Glen A. Larson’s 1978 short-lived television series, and even perhaps a nod to 1980’s Galactica 1980, the theme most to these two shows played lightly as the fleet traveled together towards the sun. As a fan of all three, I was almost overcome by a sense of pride, and yes, some sadness as well.

I know that BSG will live on in several forms. Caprica, the BSG prequel series has been in production for some time and there are also two movies planned, based on BSG, but standalone. Nevertheless, suffice to say, the end has truly come for what some would consider the most impressive sci-fi television shows ever created.

On Friday night as my wife and I were sitting in a mountain hotel, her preparing for bed, and me getting ready to watch the finale; my wife asked my sort of half-jokingly if I thought this would be the best episode of the show I’d ever seen. I told her I didn’t think that it would be and to be honest, I was wrong. I was so blown away by everything that took place during those two hours. What more could one ask for in a series finale. There was triumph, defeat, death, life, and finality. Unlike most science fiction stories, the one thing that carried into the finale that has always made Battlestar Galactica special is that it has always embraced a theme of humanity above all. I know for a fact that there’s a lesson in there!

No comments:

ss_blog_claim=d4341cc3e0b035b2f3f250f52007a337