Tuesday, March 31, 2009

On 24, Jack Bauer to fight back from an impossible end!


Less than 12 hours after I watched the latest episode of 24, I heard that Keifer Sutherland has decided to come back for an eighth season. I found the timing of the announcement to be a bit odd when the show is continuing to try to build suspense and momentum. Why? Well we left off last night with Jack Bauer having tested positive for exposure to a rare disease called Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease. While he was intentionally exposed via a terrorist bio-agent, it is explained in the show that there is no cure and that 100% of patients die.

So to me, that begs the question of how Jack gets out of this one. I mean it’s not like they are going to come up with a cure to a disease that has no cure. So what will it be? A false positive? Presumably that would have to be it unless they stretch the truth so far as to come up with an anecdote. While that may work for the show, it’s just not in the cards in the real world right now and having just had a friend pass away from the disease, I know many people who want answers as to the future of research. No, I don’t expect to get answers from 24, but it should be interesting to see what happens and I’m definitely psyched that Jack will be back again next year!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the TV stuff! Good blog.

Anonymous said...

Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease is not necessarily fatal right away. Some patients can live up to 2 years with it. Here is the wikipedia page for it, which gives a good brief summary: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creutzfeldt-Jakob_disease . In any event I bet he has a mild case of it (which I'm not sure is possible, but it's 24....) and some how lives

jinxed said...

He got an experimental treatment at the end of season 7. Did you not watch the ending?

ss_blog_claim=d4341cc3e0b035b2f3f250f52007a337