Monday, April 13, 2009

Twilight just isn't for everyone!


Take a look at just about any best seller list in the country and you’ll see that Stephanie Meyer novels occupy 3-4 of the top 5 spots due to the huge success of her Twilight series. And while young adult romance isn’t really my cup of tea, I took a chance at the film adaptation of the first novel recently and had some pretty mixed thoughts.

I guess part of the problem was that I went into it thinking that it would have had a lot more action and mystery, but didn’t realize that 90% of it was really a story of romance between two teens. Well, one teen and one 200-year-old vampire. I found that while their courtship was dramatic and interesting at times, it was overdone. I mean, come on; we get the point – they’re in love with each other and it’s a little odd because she’s alive and he’s undead.

Nevertheless, it was a fairly well-made movie and the scenery and cinematography was nothing short of stunning. Then again, this is not your typical vampire movie and you’d be well-served to know that going into it!

2 comments:

Christine said...

I loved Twilight - but I'm 27 and have the mindset of a 12 year old LOL. Plus, I'm a sucker for Vampires. That said - I completely agree that Twilight isn't for everyone. Completely agree. It's very much "young adult fiction" and if you are wanting to compare it to Ann Rice or someone, forget about it. It's no where near that detailed or "exciting." I read the book(s) as a love story between two teens. The vamp stuff was just extra. :)

Carol said...

I am older and yes, maybe overdone but what love story is not. I have to say you did something I may not do and that is watch it to review it. Love stories but we all love mush.

ss_blog_claim=d4341cc3e0b035b2f3f250f52007a337